Dog Ate a Toxic Mushroom? Do This Immediately!


Recognizing and Managing Poisoning in Dogs: Insights from a Veterinarian

If your dog is exhibiting signs like excessive salivation, drooling, urinating, vomiting, or diarrhea, it’s possible they have been exposed to a class of poisons that affect the nervous system. These symptoms could be caused by something as innocuous as a mushroom or as harmful as a flea and tick collar. In this blog, I’ll share essential information to help you keep your dog safe and what actions you can take if you suspect poisoning.

When to Suspect Poisoning

During a recent walk in the forest with our neighbors and their two black labs, Angus and Murdoch, we encountered a concerning situation. Murdoch, who has a keen nose for mushrooms, started showing worrying signs. He was excessively salivating—imagine big, stringy amounts of drool—and although still active, he didn’t look well. It became apparent that he might have ingested poisonous mushrooms.

Understanding SLUDGE Symptoms

The veterinary term SLUDGE is an acronym that helps in remembering the symptoms of poisoning:

  • S for Salivation (excessive)
  • L for Lacrimation (excessive tearing)
  • U for Urination (excessive)
  • D for Defecation (diarrhea)
  • G for Gastroenteritis (vomiting and diarrhea)
  • E for Emesis (vomiting)

Murdoch displayed several of these symptoms, which are common with many toxins, including certain poisonous mushrooms and older insecticides. Some flea and tick collars and farm insecticides can also trigger these signs by affecting the nervous system, particularly the parasympathetic nervous system.

Immediate Actions and First Aid

If you notice these clinical signs in your dog, it’s crucial to recognize the seriousness of the situation. I generally advise visiting your veterinarian immediately to confirm the diagnosis and begin appropriate treatment. However, if you live rurally or the incident occurs late at night, you may need to start immediate first aid.

Preventive Measures

Talking with our neighbor G this morning, he mentioned that keeping Murdoch engaged with a tennis ball helps distract him from mushrooms. Finding what positively motivates your dog can be a critical preventive measure, reducing the chances of them ingesting something harmful in the first place.

Essential First Aid Supplies

There are two key items every dog owner should have on hand for such emergencies:

  1. Hydrogen Peroxide (3%): This can induce vomiting if your dog has ingested a toxin. The standard dose is 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight, administered via a syringe.
  2. Activated Charcoal: This helps absorb any remaining toxins in the intestinal tract. The dose is high, about 1 gram per 10 pounds of body weight, available in tablet or powder form.

Remember, inducing vomiting should only be done if you’re certain your dog has ingested a toxin and is still within a couple of hours of the incident. Following vomiting, administering activated charcoal can help absorb any remnants of the toxin.

Be Prepared for Emergencies

Recognizing the signs of poisoning and knowing how to respond quickly can save your dog’s life. Keeping essential first aid items like hydrogen peroxide and activated charcoal at home and understanding how to use them properly are crucial steps every pet owner should take.

For more detailed information and step-by-step guides on pet health and emergency responses, click [here] to subscribe to Veterinary Secrets. Also, you can get a free copy of my book by clicking the link directly below this video.

Thank you for tuning in, and remember, your knowledge and preparedness can make a significant difference in the health and safety.

Dr Andrew Jones’ ‘Veterinary Secrets’ Will Help Keep Your Pet Healthy, and Extend Your Pet’s Life

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *