Rat Poison Toxicity in Dogs

Rodenticide poisoning in dogs is becoming an increasing problem as the rat population increases around the world.

Here are the 3 main types of rat poisons, the signs to know if your pet is affected, and what can be done to help your pet.

Where I live, rat populations have been increasing. This means that more people are using rat poisoning, leading to rodenticide toxicity in dogs and cats.

#1 Eat and Bait Block:

Eat and bait block is an anti coagulant rodenticide that prohibits the blood from clot, meaning the rat will bleed out. If your dog or cat consumes this, the same effect can happen to them.


  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Pale gums from internal bleeding
  • Swollen belly
  • Bleeding in chest will mean difficulty breathing
  • At times, you will see blood in the urine
  • Bruising on skin and gums.

These symptoms do not happen right away, it will take 3-7 days after exposure to see clinical signs.

Treatment might include plasma, to replace clotting proteins, as well as vitamin K1 by injection so the liver can make the clotting proteins.

#2 Bromethalin:

Bromethalin is a serious neurotoxin. If your dog or cat consumes a rat that has consumed bromethalin, this can show serious clinical signs.


  • Seizures
  • Muscle tremors
    • which can show up as rear limb weakness or paralysis.

Signs can show up within 24 hours, and will be treated at the veterinarian with IV fluids, as well as steroids to treat brain swelling.

#3 Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), d-Con

Vitamin D3 can cause irreversible kidney failure – the company website claims that as it’s a low dose, it is safe for dogs and cats, which is just not true.

Signs can show as early as 4 hours after ingestion and can include:

  • Increased drinking/urination
  • Anorexia
  • Lethargy
  • Nausea, vomiting blood

Treatment will include IV fluids and diuretics.

If you become aware that your dogs has consumed any of these, induce vomiting and get to the vet as soon as possible.

Hydrogen peroxide can be taken at home within 2 hours, 3% peroxide at 1 teaspoon/10lbs of body weight.

I do not recommend using these poisons if you have a dog or cat, but knowing what to do and what the signs are if this does happen can make a major difference.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *