This sugar free product can be deadly for pets

I am personally not a fan of ‘substitute’ products- those chemicals that are supposedly healthier for you, but then it turns out they have side effects…

In general it’s better to take things that you are know are real, and you can pronounce.

Same thing for our pets… for instance one key nutrient that has now been shown to go a long way in helping prevent, and manage many pet health conditions (ie diarrhea, allergies), is probiotics- the good bacteria that inhabit the intestinal tract.

Your dog or cat on conventional Pet Food do NOT get many of these – but they can be SO beneficial.

Both our Ultimate Feline Supplement and Ultimate Canine Advanced Supplements have added probiotics.

Ultimate Feline Health Formula has a complete blend of 7 different probiotics to HELP your cat in many ways.

Ultimate Canine ADVANCED Health Formula has a 10, 000% increase in probiotic levels, including the most studied probiotic for dogs, Lactobacillus.

What Is Xylitol Poisoning?

I had a subscriber write in about their dog being poisoned with Xylitol from a ‘so called safe’ human medication…

It is in so many things, and you really need to be aware of this.

In fact it is in MANY common dental sprays/rinses, as it is appears to be safe for people- but NEVER safe to give to dogs.

Xylitol is a natural sugar alcohol, which is a type of carbohydrate that does not actually contain alcohol. It has a sweet taste and is often used as a sugar substitute.

Xylitol is found in:

Sugar-free foods: Baked goods/desserts, peanut butter, ice cream, candy, fruit drink, drink powder, jelly/jam, cereal, pudding/Jell-O, ketchup, syrup, chewing gum, and breath mints

Medications: Cough drop, gummy vitamin, chewable vitamin, and prescription medication

Dental care products: Toothpaste and mouthwash

Beauty products: Shampoo, moisturizer, and deodorant

TOXIC to dogs and cats

While xylitol may be unharmful to humans, it is toxic and potentially lethal to pets. The difference is in the way blood sugar is controlled in the body.

In both humans and dogs/cats, blood sugar is regulated by the release of insulin from the pancreas. In pets, xylitol triggers a large release of insulin which causes the blood sugar level to drop quickly and dangerously; this is called hypoglycemia. In humans, however, xylitol does not affect the pancreas or insulin release, so people do not experience any change in blood sugar levels.

Xylitol can also cause liver damage and even liver failure in dogs and cats. It is unknown how this happens, but it appears to depend on how much xylitol your pet consumes.

Xylitol’s toxic effects are not yet reported in cats. Scientists, however, are not in agreement that cats are completely clear from the effects of xylitol poisoning, so for now it is best to keep xylitol products away from all your furry pets.

If your dog ingests xylitol, you should take it immediately to a local veterinary emergency hospital for evaluation and treatment.

Symptoms of Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning in dogs are typically due to low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and may include:

* Vomiting

* Weakness/Loss of balance

* Stumbling/Lack of coordination

* Lethargy/Depression

* Tremors/Seizures

* Collapse/Coma

Signs of hypoglycemia may appear as early as 30 minutes after xylitol ingestion but may be delayed up to 12 hours. If you notice any of these symptoms, and believe your dog may have ingested xylitol, contact your local veterinary emergency hospital immediately.

Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs: FAQ’s

What is the amount of xylitol that is toxic to dogs?

Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) can occur if a dog ingests as little as 0.045 grams. (0.1gram/kilogram). Liver damage can occur by ingesting 0.11 to 0.22gram/pound. (0.25-0.5gram/kilogram). This means that as little as one piece of gum can cause xylitol poisoning in a 20-pound dog.

How long does it take for xylitol poisoning to affect my dog?

Xylitol is quickly absorbed, so you may see signs as early as 30 minutes, or they could be delayed for up to 12 hours. Clinical signs of xylitol poisoning in dogs include vomiting, weakness, stumbling/loss of balance, lethargy/depression, tremors/seizures, and collapse/coma.

How do I know if my dog has xylitol poisoning?

Seek emergency veterinary care if your pet has ingested a product with xylitol, or you suspect they have. Xylitol is contained in many foods and household products including baked goods, chewing gum/mint, medication, oral hygiene, and beauty products, and more. If you did not see your pet eating xylitol but notice issues such as vomiting, weakness, trouble walking, balance concerns, lethargy, seizures, collapsing, or a coma-like state, it is experiencing xylitol toxicity.

What is the most common serious illness related to xylitol exposure in dogs?

Ingestion of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) in dogs, and at higher doses it can also lead to liver damage and even failure. The mechanism of liver damage is unknown, but it can be fatal if untreated.

Best Wishes,

Dr Andrew

P.S. You NEED to read the ingredients on anything you are giving your dog, ESPECIALLY if it says artificially sweetened and it is one of the Dental Sprays/Rinses…

No amount of this stuff it safe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *